A partly traffic-free route on former railway lines, estuarine cycle-paths and quiet lanes.
(D/A) Ride along the Parade for 600 yards then turn left into School Lane.
(1) Turn left and pass under the Wirral Way footbridge, turning immediately left and left again to cross the bridge. After ¼ mile, bear left and descend to a gate.
(2) Turn right then left to rejoin the Wirral Way. After ¼ mile, pass under a bridge and continue until you cross two bridges then pass under a viaduct. Follow the road ahead to Mellock Lane.
(3) Cross and rejoin the Wirral Way. Follow the Way for 1 mile, then pass under the A540. Rejoin the Wirral Way through the gate on the left. Cross a road and pass the old station. Then, at the next overbridge, leave the Wirral Way, turning right over the bridge.
(4) When the road bends left, turn right onto a bridleway (NCR 56) and pass Oaks Farm. Turn left at the road, then shortly right (Ledsham Hall Lane).
(5) Cross the A550 and join Ledsham Lane opposite. After a mile, turn right (signposted Ledsham). Ride through the village, ignoring a left turn, and continue for ½ mile to the A540. Turn left and cycle along to The Yacht Inn.
(6) Turn right into Shotwick Lane and follow it for a mile to the A550. Cross carefully and follow the lane opposite to Shotwick village. Beyond the church, join a bridleway, crossing a stream, and follow it to its end. Pass under the main road and turn right on the B5441.
(7) Beyond a mini-roundabout take the first left, then turn right along the pavement cycle lane to a bridge, where you turn right onto the Chester Railway Path. Ignore the first turning, and bear right at a fork then turn right at a sign reading Zone/Parth 3 & 4 and Neston (NCR 568). Follow the cycle path past a solar farm then left to the road. Continue on NCR 568 through Deeside Industrial Park.
(8) At the end beyond the Toyota entrance, turn right. At a T-junction, turn left. When the adjacent road starts to climb, turn right onto the pavement and follow the cycle path below the wall.
(9) Turn right under the road, then left and under a railway bridge, then right again under a second railway line. Turn right before the entrance to the rifle range and follow the trail alongside the railway. Cross a boardwalk and pass below the low quarried cliffs of Burton Point. Follow the track out to a public road; turn left.
(10) When the road bends right, keep straight on. Pass a couple of buildings and continue to Little Neston.
(11) Beyond the pub turn right, away from the estuary. Take the second left (Homecrofts), then turn left at a T-junction.
(12) Just before a parade of shops, turn left into Allans Meadow, then left into Flint Drive. At the end, bear right on a metalled cycleway. At a road, turn left to pass under the low former railway bridge and cycle past the church.
(13) Turn right onto Parkgate Road then left past the Library. Bear left to cross the Wirral Way and continue to the end of the parade in Parkgate. Turn right here, and cycle along the front to return to the Boathouse.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. 6m - The Boat House
1 : km 1.03 - alt. 18m - Wirral Way footbridge
2 : km 1.58 - alt. 18m - Gate
3 : km 3.42 - alt. 39m - Mellock Lane
4 : km 8.64 - alt. 38m - Bridleway
5 : km 10.54 - alt. 42m - A550
6 : km 13.5 - alt. 42m - Shotwick Lane
7 : km 16.98 - alt. 7m - B5441
8 : km 21.37 - alt. 7m - Toyota entrance
9 : km 22.63 - alt. 9m - Railway
10 : km 24.46 - alt. 6m - Bend
11 : km 27.78 - alt. 6m - Marshlands Road
12 : km 28.69 - alt. 18m - Allans Meadow
13 : km 29.69 - alt. 32m - Parkgate
D/A : km 31.82 - alt. 6m - The Boat House
Mountain bike/hybrid recommended.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.