Alfriston, White Horse and Cuckmere
Alfriston is a beautiful village, with old houses and a lovely Common in front of its typical church. Clergy House was the first acquisition of the National Trust. This walk runs along the two river banks of Cuckmere River, via the White Horse, the horse is engraved with the chalk of a valley, and the return trip runs by a hill offering beautiful views.
A Alfriston walk
posted on 09/03/22 by Pascal Goutier. Last update : 09/03/22
(S/E) From the Square car park, take the path to the left (West Street), then left again (River Lane), Wanguard Way, down to the river. Reach the river along South Downs Way, near a footbridge.
(1) Veer to the right, don't take the footbridge, and follow Cuckmere River. Reach New Bridge.
(2) Cross the bridge and turn right (West) to follow the shore again, passing in front of White Horse on your right-hand side. Find a crossroads a few meters after.
(3) Take the wooded path on the left (East) which joins Litlington road at a bend. Head left (North) to quickly reach the entrance to Charleston Manor.
(4) Veer to the right (East), to go around the mansion, and find South Downs Way.
(5) When you reach a junction, turn left (North) up the hill, across fields, to the entrance of Litlington village. Turn right (North) and pass the Plow and Harrow pub.
(6) From there, turn left to reach the river bank. Walk alongside it again, taking a right (North). Carry on straight ahead until you reach the footbridge you passed on the way there. Go across and find the initial crossroads (1). Heading in the opposite direction from when you came, return to the Square car park (A/D)
- S/E : km 0 - alt. 8 m - Square car park
- 1 : km 0.43 - alt. 4 m - River
- 2 : km 2.93 - alt. 5 m - New Bridge
- 3 : km 3.99 - alt. 0 m - Path to Hemlet
- 4 : km 4.48 - alt. 9 m - Charleston Manor
- 5 : km 4.8 - alt. 17 m - Southdown Way
- 6 : km 5.92 - alt. 10 m - Plough and Harrow (pub)
- S/E : km 8.21 - alt. 7 m - Square car park
Car park :
Park in the town Square car park. Large car park at the entrance of the village.
Detour possible: Before crossing the bridge (2), take the path that reaches the top of White Horse to enjoy the view of Cuckmere valley and its meanders. Return to the bridge by the same path.
A walk translated by
Always stay careful and alert while following a route. Visorando and the author of this walk cannot be held responsible in the event of an accident during this route.
During the walk or to do/see around
Several old pubs and restaurants on site. The village is very touristy, so very busy at the end of the week.
Before leaving Alfriston, visit Clergy House.
A few kilometres to the North-West, don't miss out on the Long Man of Wilmington, a man engraved in the chalk on the hillside, 70 meters long, uncertain age, probably 16th century.
Reviews and comments
Clarity of route description
4 / 5
Clarity of route map
4 / 5
4 / 5
le Mon 23 May 2022 03:37:38 EDT
Date of walk: 22/05/22
Clarity of route description: ★★★★☆ Good
Clarity of route map: ★★★★☆ Good
Walk interest: ★★★★☆ Good
A most enjoyable walk.
The scenery combines riverside and hillside views.
It culminates back in Alfriston village giving the walker the opportunity to take a break and enjoy refreshments.