A short, easy walk for a family outing. In good weather you can see the parachutists jump over the Pujaut aerodrome.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park in the car park along a road parallel to the D177.
(D/A) Cross the 177 secondary road by the speed limit signs and take the small path opposite until your reach a stony path. Turn right and follow the path up to a crossroads.
(1) Continue opposite, to the north, remaining on the right-most path. After a little climb, you get to the first viewing point over the village of Pujaut. Go back down the path that goes off to the right and stay close to the cliff. Stop at the highest points for a view over the plain and the aerodrome.
(2) Warning! There are lots of paths that go off in all directions. Walk south-southwest, then south remaining on the right-most path that takes you close to the cliff.
(3) Cross the GR42 (on the way back you'll return up to this point) and continue southwest, still close to the cliff. Keep going until you reach a large crossroads.
(4) Take the first path on the right, staying close to the cliff. Be careful no to take any of the small paths that lead you to the road below. Use the electric pylon to the southwest as reference point, and which stands out on the hill. This is the arrival point of the first section.
At the foot of the pylon, take in the view, you'll see the cooperative "La Chartreuse", and the villages of Tavel, Rochefort du Gard etc.
(5) For the way back, continue on the path along a fence, turn left to walk back up and pass under the electric power line. After a short descent at the first intersection, take the path to the left. About 100/150 metres northeast you'll see a little plateau that you need to get to.
(6) At this point, take the left-hand path that will lead you back to the route you came on. Continue on the same path until the GR42 crossroads.
(3) Take the GR42 to the right (red and white markings). At the crossroads, turn left onto a trail. Then ignore the track to the right, going north-northeast until you reach the D177. Cross the secondary road at the pedestrian crossing and you'll find your vehicle in the car park to your left.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.39 - alt. km 0.39 - Crossroads
2 : km 0.93 - alt. km 0.93 - The rightmost path
3 : km 1.61 - alt. km 1.61 - Junction with the GR42
4 : km 2.11 - alt. km 2.11 - Crossroads
5 : km 3.72 - alt. km 3.72 - Path along the fence
6 : km 4.23 - alt. km 4.23 - Left-hand path to the outward route
D/A : km 6.63 - alt. km 6.63
Be careful, in wet weather the little path by the cliff is very slippery.
Variant at point (3) : go back along the outward route and enjoy the view over the plain again, and you might also be able to see the parachutists training.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3041OT.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Viewing point over the Pujaut plain and the aerodrome, which is a favourite among parachutists.
A very easy walk. The first part up to the dam, very pleasant and shady. There's not shade on second part until you arrive, so wear hats in sunny weather.
Numerous birds and in particular grey herons, cormorants, swans etc. are visible near the water and on the banks of the Rhone.
A family-friendly walk exploring the Island of Oiselet and the banks of the Rhône.
Discovering Rochefort-du-Gard and its religious heritage, then diving into the green oak trees, which make up a large part of the surrounding vegetation, for some solitude.
In Aramon, a village along the Rhone near Avignon, the capitelles trail takes you around a couple of these shelters created by the shepherds and farmers.
A walk in the hills of La Montagnette, setting out from Saint Michel de Frigolet abbey.
A peaceful countryside walk, ideal for relaxation.
A family walk around the Oppidum of Caesar Camp in Laudun.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.