A hike to do preferentially during fall to admire the beautiful colors of the Indian summer reflecting off the lakes.
Technical sheet No. 4098343
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Distance : 11.52 km
Vertical gain : 183 m
Vertical drop : 174 m
Highest point : 848 m
Lowest point : 750 m
Back to starting point : Yes
Location : Le Frasnois (39130)
Starting point : N 46.633593° / E 5.919527°
The car park at the end of the lake has easy access and allows you to start the walk along the 'Petit' (small) and the 'Grand' (large) Maclu's lakes smoothly.
Take the large path following the Petit Maclu's lake then the Grand Maclu's Lake.
(1)When you reach the end of the Grand Maclu's lake continue on this large path slightly uphill before turning right, leading to the lake of Ilay's shore (also called 'Lac de la Motte').
(2) At the intersection turn right to stay near the lake. Follow this path until you reach the road D75. (3)Cross the road and follow the track leading to the place known as 'La fromagerie'.
(4) Once there, turn right and follow another large track that leads you first through the forest then later through meadows. After about 2km you'll reach an intersection, turn right towards the village Frasnois. (6)Near the village, turn left and follow the path along the village, passing by a statue of a Virgin. Then turn right to reach the village centre, and continue to walk for a little while.
(7) Leave the departmental road to the right, and take the little road that leads you straight to the municipal campsite.
Enter the campsite and head towards the beach. Before getting to the beach, take the track on the left-hand side which will take you around the Narlay lake (turning right will take you back to your starting point quicker).
(8) Walk along this track which will lead you through Narlay, continue on the right side along the lake. Always stay on this large path which turns slightly around the lake.
(9) This track leads you to a small car park, continue on the paved road until it turns left, staying on the path. Once you reach the departmental road, cross it to get back to your starting point.
D/A : km 0 - alt. 785 m - Lac du Petit Maclu
1 : km 1.87 - alt. 804 m - Lac du Grand Maclu
2 : km 3.15 - alt. 783 m
3 : km 3.6 - alt. 777 m
4 : km 4.16 - alt. 779 m - La Fromagerie
5 : km 6.11 - alt. 775 m
6 : km 6.47 - alt. 784 m - Le Frasnois
7 : km 7.12 - alt. 797 m
8 : km 7.83 - alt. 761 m
9 : km 10.76 - alt. 785 m
D/A : km 11.51 - alt. 785 m - Lac du Petit Maclu
It's possible to swim in various spots during the hike.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
During the walk or to do/see around
L'auberge du Hérisson. (Herisson's Hostel)
Les cascades du Hérisson. (Herisson's Watrfalls)
Opinions and comments
Global average : 4.67/5
Number of opinions : 1
Clarity of route description : 5/5
Clarity of route map : 4/5
Walk interest : 5/5
Global average : 4.67 / 5
Date of walk
Clarity of route description : ★★★★★ Very good
Clarity of route map : ★★★★☆ Good
Walk interest : ★★★★★ Very good
It was a nice place!
Other walks in the area
Pic de l’Aigle and the Lookout Points on the Lakes
Departure from La Chaux-du-Dombief (39 - Jura)
Very nice and easy walk above the lakes of the Jura, Maclu and Illay.
Les cascades du Hérisson / The Hérisson (Hedgehog) Waterfalls
Departure from La Chaux-du-Dombief (39 - Jura)
The walk descends the Hérisson ('hedgehog') River with its series of rapids and waterfalls, then returns via Bonlieu, passing through the Dame Blanche viewpoint, with a panoramic view over lakes Val and Chambly and the Herisson valley.
The Pertes de l’Ain gorges
Departure from Bourg-de-Sirod (39 - Jura)
Pleasure in cascades.
This extraordinary walk around the Pertes de l’Ain gorges sets out from the remarkable site of the old forges and is a delight for all the senses.
Along the way: The Pertes de l’Ain, gorges, cascades, the ruins of Villain castle, and the relics of an old village.
From the Amont Woods to Cernillet through Mount Sala
Departure from Bois-d'Amont (39 - Jura)
Surrounded by Sala and Noiremont summits, this hike that allows you to explore Swiss forests and pastures. You'll need two cars for this straight route hike.
The Cirque de Baume-les-Messieurs
Departure from Baume-les-Messieurs (39 - Jura)
Discover one of the most beautiful natural sites and one of the prettiest villages in the Franche-Comté.
La Dôle from Les Dappes
Departure from Prémanon (39 - Jura)
Without doubt, the shortest path up to the summit of La Dôle (1677m altitude) from the French side of the border. In good weather, the views are breathtaking and go on for over 250km: from the Swiss Alps to Mont Blanc and on to the Vanoise and the Ecrins, all of this with plunging views down over Geneva and its lake.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.